Monday, January 2, 2012

Gadgets for the SCD Kitchen!

My Christmas list this year was quite different from those of years past- instead of the typical requests for clothing or jewelry, my wish list consisted of mostly small kitchen appliances.  I was thrilled to receive three large items and several small ones that will make my kitchen significantly more SCD friendly.  Pictures, descriptions and tips on where to find them are below:



The Yogourmet Yogurt Maker:
As anyone who has read anything about SCD already knows, making your own yogurt is an integral part of the diet!  I am ashamed to say this is only my second time making yogurt- the first time I made a phenomenal french cream (yogurt made from heavy whipping cream).  A post on that is soon to follow...  My first trip into yogurt making was done with a heating pad stashed in my closet to keep our cats from eating them- as you can imagine, this Yogourmet (from my incredible parents) will be a huge help!  We opted for three glass jars instead of the plastic container that comes with the Yogourmet.  Heating fatty yogurt in a plastic container seemed awfully dangerous.  I have a batch of goats milk yogurt brewing as I type.  The Yogourmet is available at Lucy's Kitchen.

Bass Pro Shops Food Dehydrator
This machine (from my wonderful brother and sister-in-law) is going to revolutionize my snacking!  I can't wait to make my own beef and salmon jerky and dehydrated fruits and veggies.  It is available at Bass Pro Shops.

Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer Ice Cream Attachment
 
So excited to whip up some coconut milk ice cream with this amazing attachment (again from my wonderful parents)!  I will probably start with a recipe like this one from Against All Grain.  The ice cream attachment can be purchased here.

And one stocking stuffer....

William Sonoma Kitchen Towels
These great Kitchen Towels have the perfect weave to double as cheese cloth.  Great for straining almond milk or drying out cooked carrots for Carrot French Toast.









No comments:

Post a Comment